Saturday, December 18, 2010

Not so fly...like a white guy

Have you ever noticed that when you were a teenager everything you did and wore seemed totally awesome?  I never thought of myself as popular by mainstream standards but I thought I was pretty damn cool.  As I got older and looked back at myself in photos or memory I've realised that I was just outright ridiculous.  Like when I was 18 and I thought wearing baggy pant with my boxers out the top was the SHIT!  Especially when you put the chain from your front belt loop to your wallet.  Team that up with a wicked hip hop styled visor and pink knee high socks with skateshoes and you have instant vintage AWESOME!  (Don't try this look at home, it's really not awesome!)
Errrr...right.  At least I thought so.  So while I'm cleaning out my mum's garage full of my crap what do I find?  Photos!  I'd scan them in but really...really...no one needs to see that.  Ever.  Period.  I did come across one adorable photo of me and my best friend being gangsta with our Westside pose.  Should I point out we weren't being American just representing our Westside Auckland roots!
We used to fly between Auckland and Brisbane at least once a year to see each other and just hang out with skateboards and listen to punk music.  We were so damn cool.  He was my first real kiss.  Now many, many years have passed and we are still friends.
So anyhooooo, not going to give you the pleasure of seeing us as adorable punk-ass teenagers, him with his nose too big for his body and me with my eyebrow pierced but we did recreate the photo.
It's nice to know that even though we still don't dress like freaks, we both still enjoy our punk music and a good skate.  Here's to never growing up properly!

Westsiiiiiiiide!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment